Buffer was another living experiment, in the vein similar to Giro di Noia, things are being written about as they happen. This seemed like a good idea at the time.
buffer (plural buffers)
Someone or something that buffs. (chemistry) A solution used to stabilize the pH (acidity) of a liquid.
- (computing) A portion of memory set aside to store data, often before it is sent to an external device or as it is received from an external device.
- (mechanical) Anything used to maintain slack or isolate different objects.
- (telecommunications) A routine or storage medium used to compensate for a difference in rate of flow of data, or time of occurrence of events, when transferring data from one device to another.
- (rail transport) A device on trains and carriages designed to cushion the impact between them.
- (rail transport) The metal barrier to help prevent trains from running off the end of the track.
- An isolating circuit, often an amplifier, used to minimize the influence of a driven circuit on the driving circuit.
- (politics, international relations) A buffer zone (such as a demilitarized zone) or a buffer state.
(colloquial) A good-humoured, slow-witted fellow, usually an elderly man.
- (figuratively) A gap that isolates or separates two things.